Photo Key to Some Common Plants of the BFS
Now available — Photo Key to Common Plants of the BFS (beta version). The key was prepared by Dr. Susan Schenk, Joint Science Department of the Claremont Colleges. This key is not comprehensive, but is intended to help students with little botany background identify the most commonly encountered plants at the BFS. This is the first public release of the key for testing. If you use it and spot errors or have suggestions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to download a zip file of the Plant Photo Key. The file is 88 Mb, so it’s best to download from a fast connection.
The files are intended to be assembled into a notebook in the following order:
- Cover (Plant_photo_key_cover.pdf)
- Introduction (Plant_photo_key_intro.pdf)
- Table of Contents (Plant_photo_key_contents.pdf)
- Plants to Avoid! (Plant_photo_key_dangerous_plants.pdf)
- Vines (Plant_photo_key_vines.pdf)
- Trees (Plant_photo_key_trees.pdf)
- Shrubs, part 1 (Plant_photo_key_shrubs1.pdf)
- Shrubs, part 2 (Plant_photo_key_shrubs2.pdf)
- Shrubs, part 3 (Plant_photo_key_shrubs3.pdf)
- Annuals and Perennials, part 1 (Plant_photo_key_ann-per1.pdf)
- Annuals and Perennials, part 2 (Plant_photo_key_ann-per2.pdf)
- Annuals and Perennials, part 3 (Plant_photo_key_ann-per3.pdf)
- Mustards (Plant_photo_key_mustards.pdf)
- Thistles (Plant_photo_key_thistles.pdf)
- Plants near the classroom (Plant_photo_key_near_classroom.pdf)
Page last updated 6 September by Nancy Hamlett.